Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dark

Since I've been dealing with all this anxiety BS, I've been trying to figure out what causes it, and what I can do to deal with it. Recently the process that's really been helping with it is writing dark music. I've already recorded and mastered two really dark songs. Both, very similar in style, having droning background sounds, with heavy modulating drums. Unfortunately I recorded them in common meter, so I'm just going to have to do another in 5/8 or 7/8. Maybe I'll do one with a rhythm cycle, as those are always a good time. My favorite is a rhythm cycle that was introduced to me several years ago on the radio. A musician named Emam was on the radio giving away tickets to an upcoming show, and said that the first person to call in with the correct time signature would win the tickets. I never did call in, which is too bad, because I would have won the contest. I had it spot on. The meter was 5/8+5/8+5/8+6/8. Otherwise known as 21/8 with a 5-5-5-6 rhythm cycle. SO MUCH FUN. 

The other practice I've been getting back into, which is very good for stress relief and anxiety is playing guitar. Going back to my blues roots, and playing a bit of metal here and there has really been helping. I've also been trying to find my "odd music" mentality again. I used to work with such interesting chords and melodies. I think the important thing is that I don't try too hard to do any one thing. I have to let it come naturally. Of course this mentality only applies to certain aspects of life, but music is the main one. 

In lieu of playing guitar, I have been able to get slightly better at playing the keys. It's been a fun process, but it's a love hate relationship. While I would love to have the chops of a concert pianist, I don't have nearly enough time to practice to that degree. It would seem that I should take my own pace, as well as love what I do.

I did this song a while ago, but it emulates the kind of dark music that I've been working on. This is a bit more melodic then the tunes I've been working on recently, however.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment